Silver Lake Road Corridor
Donate to LAFF Pathway
The success of the LAFF Pathway
depends on YOUR support.
TAX-DEDUCTABLE gifts can be made to benefit the LAFF Pathway Fund through the Community Foundation of Greater Flint at www.cfgf.org and through the link below.
Best case scenario of the work items and time line to see a pathway on the ground. We need paper work, grants, and planning all to fall in place and your support in funding to accomplish this. Thanks for your interest and support. Please see the Giving Power post.
Argentine Township was founded in 1836. It is located in the southwest corner of Genesee County bounded in the north by Gaines, east by Linden and Fenton Township, south by Livingston County and west by Shiawassee County. The lush area has many lakes, Lobdell, Bennett, Myers, McKane, McCaslin, Softwater, Bass, Mud, Croft, Otter, and the Shiawassee River.
The City of Linden is a vibrant community that takes pride in its historic charm. Forming around our present downtown at the intersection of Bridge and Broad, the Village of Linden was established in 1871, with structures dating back to 1840. We have grown from a village into a well-established city (1988), home to a population of about 4,000 residents and many thriving small shops, restaurants, and local businesses. Whether you are visiting our community or looking for a place to call home, Linden is a great place to live, learn, work, and play.
It was 1834 when Clark Dibble, a native of New York, explored the wilderness along the Shiawassee River where two Indian trails met.
Dibble was among the thousands of people, mostly from eastern states, who left their homes in search of new territories and land on which to build their future homes.
Congress had passed the "Squatter Act" in 1830, and land was available for $1.25 per acre.
Legend has it that Dibble was actually looking for Grand Blanc. But because of inaccuracies in an 1815 survey by the Surveyor General of the United States, it is believed he missed his trail and stumbled into what is now Fenton instead.
Other settlers, including William M. Fenton and Robert LeRoy, also natives of New York, followed soon after.
In 1837, Fenton and LeRoy bought land, a saw mill and water rights from Dibble, who moved to White Lake Road in Tyrone Township.
Dibble died in June of 1841. Historians say he perished after saving his dog from the path of a falling tree.
Fenton and LeRoy had the settlement, then called Dibbleville, platted with limits from South Street to Roberts Street and East Street to West Street.
The original plat was drawn on a pine board which is on display at the Fenton Museum.
According to legend, Fenton and LeRoy engaged in a game of poker in order to give the village a name.
The stakes were that the town would be named after the winner. The loser would have the consolation prize of having the main street named after him. He would also have the choice of naming the other streets in town.
Fenton won the game and the village was dubbed "Fentonville."
LeRoy named some of the other streets in town, such as Ann and Caroline, after members of his family.
Fenton and LeRoy built the first hotel in 1837. LeRoy opened the first store during the same year and in 1838 was appointed postmaster. The first school house opened in 1838 and Dr. S.W. Pattison became the town’s first physician.
The settlement prospered and in 1863 was incorporated as the Village of Fenton, although the name Fentonville lingered for a number of years.
Fenton Township was established in in 1834 and became a Charter Township in 1980.
The City of Fenton’s downtown area retains much of its historical look while at the same time including a town square-style shopping plaza nearby. The Shiawassee River also flows over a dam through the park in the center of town. The park is overlooked by city hall and includes an old-fashioned gazebo and walkway by the river.
Fenton offers a wide variety of shopping, at the Silver Lake shopping district. There are also several different places to dine, ranging from regional food chains to fine dining restaurants.
The city is in the heart of a beautiful recreation area. There are 58 lakes within a 10-mile radius of the city, which are used for fishing, boating, swimming and other water sports. The Lake Park features a municipal beach and picnic areas. Lake Fenton, with more than 11 miles of shoreline, is the largest lake in the area.